City of Heflin, Alabama
850 Ross St, Heflin, AL 36264
Phone (256) 463-2290 Fax (256) 463-2683
A Great Place to Call Home
Heflin is strategically located 73 miles from Birmingham, Alabama and 71 miles from Atlanta, GA. It's also only 110 miles to Montgomery, AL and 120 miles to Chattanooga. Our proximity to Interstate 20 provides ideal access to the major East/West transportation route in the Southeast.
The Georgia-Pacific Railroad was completed to Heflin, Alabama from Atlanta, Georgia in 1882 and this contributed greatly to Heflin's growth. The town prospered and was incorporated in 1886.
N.J. Ross, one of Heflin's early pioneers, also prospered and he matched his prosperity with generosity, giving the land for schools, churches, and cemeteries in the area now within the corporate limits of the City of Heflin, Alabama. The main street of the City is named in his honor.
Until 1905, the County Seat of Cleburne County had been located at Edwardsville, however, during the fall of 1905 an election was held to move the County Seat from Edwardsville to Heflin. The election results were appealed to the Supreme Court and that court, on July 1, 1906 declared that the County Seat of Cleburne County be changed from Edwardsville to Heflin.
Heflin is no longer dependent upon the railroad for its existence but serves as a shopping center for Cleburne County, providing all its residents with a variety of shopping, restaurants, business resources and employment for many in its businesses and industries.